top of page
  • Writer's pictureClark Henderson

How to Change Your Name in Florida

Are you interested in getting your name changed? In many cases, people change their names after a wedding or divorce, but you might have your own personal reasons to seek a name change. If so, what follows is an overview of what you need to know to accomplish the process in Florida.

changing your name in Florida image with pen and paper

Social Security name change

The first step you should take is to contact the Social Security Administration. Unfortunately, there is no online name-change process you can go through, so you’ll either need to submit a name change application in person at your local Social Security office or mail in a physical application. Enter your zip code at to find the closest office to your home.

You may need to provide paperwork, such as a marriage certificate, a state-issued ID or driver’s license, and/or proof of citizenship. There is no cost to get a name change through the SSA.

Driver license name change

After you change your name with the SSA, you can then have your name changed on your driver license with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). This you must do in person — there’s no online or mail-in option. Go to your local DHSMV office with proof of your legal name change, your current license or ID, proof of your Social Security number, proof of Florida residency, proof of citizenship (birth certificate or passport will work), and marriage certificate, if applicable. It will cost $25 to complete this process.

Voter registration name change

You can easily update your voter registration records any time to reflect a name change. You can submit the change through an online application at, but you will need your driver license or Florida ID card from the DHSMV. You can also make the change at your county’s supervisor of elections office.

Passport name change

The passport name change process is standardized on a national level. If the passport is less than one year old, you’ll submit Form DS-5504 and your current passport with a $60 processing fee, along with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate and a new passport photo (which meets the photo regulations). If your passport is more than a year old, you will need to fill out either Form DS-82 or DS-11.

For help completing a name change in Florida, meet with a skilled family law attorney at Oberliesen & Henderson today. You may contact our Shalimar office online or by calling (850) 863-0494.


bottom of page